Roasting nuts and seeds
If your January meals are getting a bit dull, pep them up with roasted nuts and/or seeds, for added flavour, texture and nutritional oomph. Next time you have the oven on for something that can be interrupted ( not a cake! ) take your favourite nuts or seeds, alone or in a mixture, and spread them on a baking tray or over the base of a wide ovenproof dish in a shallow layer. Pop them into the oven and check them every 10 minutes. Stir them around and put them back ( re-set the timer! ) until they’ve changed colour to your liking and have started to smell good. No extra fuel needed. Just don’t forget them at the crucial moment! They’re great to keep in an airtight container and sprinkle over porridge or rice or yogurt or soup or salad or mashed potato or….. If you add paprika, salt, soy sauce, caraway seeds or any other flavour, that could be delicious, but might restrict your options. Experiment! You can use a grill, or a dry frying pan on the top of the stove, but that takes more energy and you really can’t leave them alone.
East Oxford shops
We are so fortunate in East Oxford that so many ingredients from all parts of the world are easily (and often) inexpensively available. Here are some favourite stores:
- Erdem Food Centre – 236 Cowley Road, OX4 1UH
- Oriental food store Jing Jing - 188 Cowley Road, Oxford OX4 1UE for varieties of tofu, great root ginger, garlic stalks, miso paste
- Souya supermarket - 132 Cowley Road, OX4 1JE which sells delicious foodstuffs from Iran, amongst other things
- Maroc Deli – 66 Cowley Road, Oxford OX4 1JB
- Tahmid - 53 Cowley Rd, Cowley, Oxford OX4 1HP
- Zenobia - 75 St Clement's St, Cowley, Oxford OX4 1AH - sells ingredients for Syrian food
- When restrictions have passed, you may wish to take a stroll and investigate the many independent shops
Making your own falafel
If you want to make your own, Tamiya or falafel is an easy Sudanese recipe by Troth Wells from One World Vegetarian Cookbook,. 2011, Interlink books, 978-1-56656-834-0 www.interlink books.com (permission not sought from the author).
Troth Wells is an Oxford based food writer and cookbook author. Amongst the cookbooks she’s written are One World Vegetarian Cookbook, Global Vegetarian Cooking: Quick and Easy and Recipes from Around the World and Small Planet, Small Plates – Earth Friendly Vegetarian Recipes, all published by Interlink books.